You will learn how to use a cigar punch properly at the end of this guide.
When it comes to a cigar, you should know how to cut them even without a cutter. Although there are several ways of doing that, one of the most popular ones is a cigar punch. Unlike a cigar cutter, a cigar punch is used to make a small hole in the cigar’s cap.
However, it works well only in the case of cigars with a round cap. The best thing about using a cigar punch is, it reduces the chances of getting tobacco pieces in your mouth. This makes it ideal for all beginners who do not know much about cigar smoking.
Having said so much about a cigar punch, now it is time to focus on the most important thing: how to use a cigar punch? So in the next section of this article, we will be talking about the right way of using a cigar punch. Even if you have a rough idea about it, we suggest you spend some time reading this article to get the perfect knowledge about it.
Are you all set? Let us quickly proceed to our next part.
How to Use a Cigar Punch?
From the name, only the purpose of a cigar punch becomes clear. Most people think that a cigar punch is used for making a hole in the cigar cap by inserting the blades. However, there is a particular way of using a cigar punch, and we will be discussing that only in the upcoming portions. Stay tuned!
● First of all, you have to open the cigar punch and expose the blade. If it’s a retractable model, then you can extend the blade. Otherwise, you can simply remove the cover to open it.
● Now, you have to put the blade precisely at the center of the cap on your cigar.
● Next comes the most important step: insert the blade into the cap in a twisting manner by putting a slight pressure. However, you need to be very careful while executing this particular part as too much pressure can cause damage to the cap, which will ultimately destroy the fragile wrapper leaf.
● After making a fine hole, you can pull out the blade from the cap. However, do not be in a hurry while pulling out the blade as it can cause tearing of the wrapper leaf.
● So finally, you are ready with a hole in your cap and can light up your cigar. But before that, do not forget to throw away the remnants of the wrapper leaf on your blade. Although most punch cutters are made so that they can automatically remove all the wrapper remnants, you should check the blade at least once before lighting up your cigar.
Things to keep in mind while using a cigar punch
Using a cigar punch is quite convenient, provided you know how to use it. After reading the previous section, you know how to cut your cigar using a punch cutter but if you want to cut without cutter then this guide can help you.. However, everything is not as simple as it seems to be. You have to consider certain factors while using a cigar punch to obtain the best out of it.
Firstly you should check the wideness of the gauge used in your cigar as it will determine the number of holes you need to make for the flow of air.
The next important thing is that the cut should be made in a precise and errorless manner. Any kind of mistake can ruin the entire aroma of your cigar. Thus, it can be difficult to use by newcomers. However, if you are using a cigar punch, make sure that it is of standard quality to make the first incision smooth and clean.
Cigar punch can also be used for torpedo cigars as these are strong enough to handle a lot of punches and cannot be incised easily using an old-school cutter.
Why should you use a cigar punch?
Besides being the best alternative in the absence of a cutter, it is also ideal for people who like strong and intense puffs every time they smoke a cigar. But how does the smoke become so intense?
Basically, the smoke, heat, and oil are concentrated through a small opening which makes it intense while enjoying your cigar. Also, the cigar punch does not cause much damage to the cap, which prevents tobacco pieces from getting into your mouth. These tobacco pieces can make you sick and can alter your overall health.
Varieties of cigar punch
Different types of punch cutters vary mainly based on the size of the blade. You should prefer a large-sized punch if you have a wider cigar gauge. Besides this, other varieties include a retractable blade and another one with a cap that covers the edge. Some of the famous brands include Visol and Davidoff.
The most interesting part is that some of the cigar torch lighters are also equipped with a cigar punch, making them much more useful.
FAQs on how to use a cigar punch
1.Is cigar punch better than a cigar cutter?
2.What happens if you cut a cigar wrong using a cigar punch?
If you are a regular smoker, make sure that a keychain is attached to the cigar punch to make it easy to carry. Also, do not get carried away by the desire to smoke and try to do it in a controlled way as too much cigar smoking can heavily damage your lungs and cardiovascular system.
That’s it for today! We will be back with another interesting article. Feel free to share your thoughts with us. We hope this article helped. Thank you for reading!